Candidates should possess the following prescribed qualifications to write the Tamil Nadu Teacher Eligibility Test:
- Candidates who have passed Higher Secondary Course (10+2 Pattern) and Diploma in Teacher Education in a Recognized Teacher Training Institute / DIET and seeking an appointment as Teacher for classes I to V (except Visually Impaired Candidates) can write Paper I.
- Candidates who have passed a Bachelor’s Degree(B.A. /B.Sc. / B.Litt.) with Tamil, English, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Botany, Zoology, History and Geography or a Degree with any one of the equivalent subjects from a Recognized University under 10+2+3 Pattern and a Degree in Teacher Education (B.Ed.) from a Recognized University and seeking an appointment as Teacher for classes VI to VIII can write Paper II.
- Candidates appearing for the Final Year Examination of D.T.Ed. / B.Ed. during the current Academic Year are also eligible to appear for the Teacher Eligibility Test.
- Paper I will be for a person who intends to be a teacher for Classes I to V. Number of Questions 150 MCQs and the Duration of the Examination is 1 Hour and 30 Minutes.
- Paper II will be for a person who intends to be a teacher for Classes VI to VIII. Number of Questions 150 MCQs and the Duration of the Examination is 1 Hour and 30 Minutes.
- A person who intends to teach both Classes I to V and VI to VIII will have to appear for both Papers I and II.